Predicting Contaminant Removal in Activated Carbon Systems: The Basics, Available Models, and Their Use (EL278)
Course Length: 2 Hours / 0.2 CEUs*
Course Description: Considering using a granular activated carbon system? Take this course to learn more about adsorption fundamentals and models you can use to optimize performance. You will find out how to download freely available models and how to begin basic operations. This course also covers advanced modeling with the pore-surface diffusion model (PSDM). Advanced modeling with variable influent and natural organic matter fouling will also be demonstrated.
• Explain the fundamentals of activated carbon adsorption
• Identify how different parameters affect adsorption
• Describe how databases, performance modeling, and cost modeling can work together
• Determine whether modeling may be helpful for your system
• Perform a simple pore-surface diffusion model for an adsorption study
• Apply variable influents and model fouling with PSDM
• Run model with fouling and variable influent
*You may be awarded CEUs/PDHs for AWWA education programs by your licensing agency. AWWA grants Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for this course at a rate of 1 CEU for 10 contact hours. It is the individual's responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing agency before registering for any continuing education credit program.